Butter Pecan Ice Cream Recipe
Nothing compares to homemade butter pecan ice cream. While store-bought ice cream tastes good, homemade has an extra layer of creaminess that distinguishes it from anything you can purchase. Making a recipe from scratch guarantees high-quality ingredients, including our delicious pecans that bring out the flavor of the ice cream base.
You will need about 45 minutes to prep the ice cream and another five hours to refrigerate and later freeze the ice cream before it’s ready to eat. Make sure to have cones on hand for a treat everyone in your family will enjoy.
Butter Pecan Ice Cream Ingredients
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
1. Toast the pecan halves in a small skillet, stirring for six minutes until light brown. Set aside to cool.
2. Add the half and half and skim milk to a saucepan and heat them until they reach 175 degrees F. Slowly add brown sugar, stirring to dissolve it. Pour some of the cream mixture into a dish with the beaten eggs and stir together. Then pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the cream. Continue to cook on low heat until the mixture coats a metal spoon, then remove from the burner.
3. Put the saucepan into a bowl of ice water to cool off. While you keep stirring for two minutes, add the vanilla and whipping cream. Put plastic wrap over the custard and place in the refrigerator for three hours or store overnight.
4. Remove the custard from the refrigerator and stir in the pecans.
5. Add the custard to an ice cream freezer cylinder, and place it in the freezer. Freeze using the manufacturer’s directions. Allow it to freeze for at least two hours before serving.
You will definitely want seconds after you enjoy your first scoop of this decadent, creamy treat. Shop our selection of pecans to find the perfect ones for the recipe.