A charcuterie board is the perfect edible centerpiece for any party. The chopping board or slate plate traditionally brims with cured meats, cheeses, nuts and complementary dips and preserves, making it the perfect appetizer for any sophisticated event. It’s easy to create as well! Here’s how to put together a charcuterie board.
Best Times to Have a Charcuterie Board
Charcuterie boards are a sophisticated way to bring people together around a delicious plate of snacks during the holidays, special events, family gatherings and business get-togethers.
Charcuterie boards are a trendy appetizer full of savory and sweet foods and perfect for families, friends, colleagues and business associates to share.
Ideas for the Perfect Charcuterie Board
The salty and sweet foods you can include on a charcuterie board are endless. Get creative and experiment with every board you build. Some core items and crowd-pleasers include nuts, fruit, cheeses and meat.
Pecans are toasty, healthy and delicious. The best flavors include:
- Cinnamon pecans: These pecans are coated with a spicy cinnamon flavor, ideal for a sweet element on your board.
- Maple pecans: These nuts are rolled in maple syrup, salted and baked to perfection, bringing the perfect salty-sweet flavor to your plate.
- Roasted and salted pecans: Slow roasting enhances the nuts’ oils. A touch of salt elevates the pecan’s natural flavor and adds a savory balance to the charcuterie plate.
- Raw pecans: Raw pecans are loaded with nutrients and perfect if you love the all-natural flavors of these nuts. Raw pecans add an earthy sweetness and freshness to the board, cutting through richer foods like blue cheese.
- Gingerbread pecans: These nuts are an exclusive holiday favorite. The pecans are coated in ginger, cinnamon and sugar, perfect with creamy cheese.
2. Fresh and Dried Fruit
The sweetness and tartness of fruit work well with cheese, nuts and meat. Elevate your charcuterie board with:
- Freshly sliced green apples
- Dried apricots, peaches or prunes
Cheese is a versatile ingredient that pairs perfectly with sweet and savory items on your board. Recommended cheeses include:
- Blue cheese
- Goat cheese
- Cream cheese
- Gruyere or Swiss cheese
4. Cured Meat
Cured meat is essential in a traditional charcuterie board. Charcuteries are, after all, of French origin, referring to a delicatessen specializing in dressed meats. The best cured meats include:
- Spanish chorizo
5. Other Items
The core flavors mentioned above blend perfectly with several other savory and sweet foods, dips and preserves:
- Fig preserves
- Whole-grain mustard
- Seed loaf slices
How to Create a Charcuterie Board
Charcuterie boards are simple to construct. All you need is a cutting board, the key ingredients and a bit of artistic food flair — and voila:
- To start: Choose a good-sized cutting board. Wood always looks impressive.
- Next up: Select at least two delicious cheeses and cured meats. Consider brie, gouda and goat cheese and prosciutto and salami. Place these on your board.
- The finishing touches: Now for the finishing touches! Add preserves, sweet dried fruit, crackers, honey, olives, grapes, berries, pomegranates and various flavors of pecans. For a pop of contrasting color, add a few sprigs of rosemary. And that’s it!
Go Nuts — Buy the Best Quality Pecans Today
Pecans are ideal for snacks and for taking your charcuterie board to the next level. Pecans are nuts with the highest antioxidant content and lowest net carbs, making them healthy and delicious. Pecan Nation offers an orchard-to-shelf experience — we grow, clean, crack, grade, cook, package and ship the nuts straight to you.
Get your top-quality, USA-grown pecans today by shopping at our online store.