Elevate your next holiday gathering with a few bowls of festive snack mix. This mix is perfect as an appetizer or as a post-dinner snack. It’s also an excellent combination of salty and sweet, thanks to the cranberries and teaspoon of chili powder. Since this nut mix is so easy to make, you can quickly whip up a batch any day of the week and vary the taste of your mix by alternating which of our pecan flavors you use or trying new spice combinations.
One of the many great things about this delicious dish is that you can customize the ingredients you use in every batch for endless combinations. To make a standard version of this holiday snack mix with nuts, you will need the following:
- ¾ cup of pecan halves
- ¾ cup of shelled walnuts
- ½ cup of raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups of rice pocket cereal
- ½ cup of dried cranberries
- ¼ cup golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
How to Make Holiday Pecan Mix
This nut mix takes less than 30 minutes, and you can make it up to two weeks ahead. To make the nut mix, you will:
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or a silicone mat.
- Place the pumpkin seeds, walnuts and pecans in a medium bowl.
- Combine the oil, water, brown sugar and chili powder and salt in a bowl and then drizzle two tablespoons over the nut mixture before tossing to coat.
- Create a single layer of the nut mixture on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
- While baking the nut mixture, combine the cereal and cranberries with the rest of the sugar mixture.
- Once the nut mixture is done baking, take it out of the oven and add the cereal to the pan.
- Roast the cereal and nuts in the oven for 12 minutes or until they turn golden brown and form a glaze.
- Let the mixtures cool completely before tossing them to combine.
Why Pecans Are the Star of Your Holiday Nut Mix
Pecans are nutritional powerhouses that offer more than a distinct sweet and buttery flavor. Pecans have the highest amount of antioxidants of any nut and offer benefits such as:
- Improving heart health: Eating a few pecans each day can help reduce cholesterol levels and improve your heart health.
- Lowering cancer risks: Pecans contain ellagic acid, which can help protect your body against DNA changes that can result in cancer.
Take Your Nut Mix to the Next Level With Our Pecan Flavors
Whether you give this holiday snack mix with nuts as a gift or have it out when guests come over, the brown sugar’s deep caramel flavor and the chili powder’s sweet heat will surely have guests reaching for more.
You can also make your nut mix fun and festive by using one of our pecan flavors. Choose from cinnamon, gingerbread or maple crumbles for some holiday cheer or stay with a traditional taste using our roasted and salted or natural options. Make any dish tastier by shopping our selection of pecans today!